Welcome to my world. I *just* vacuumed... Wipe your feet before you come in.

Monday, July 12, 2010

The Good Dream Hat

I am loving seven. Maggie has been so damn cute lately, I wish she would stay this age forever.
Last night I put her to bed a little after 8:00 with a Junie B. Jones book and told her that she could read in bed for a little while. I could hear her giggling to herself and then it got quiet.
I was sitting downstairs watching Leverage, and she came creeping down the steps, telling me that she "felt like she was going to have a bad dream." I walked her back up to her room, re-sprayed some "good-dream spray" (rose scented linen spray) tucked her back in, and re-adjusted the animals on her bed. She asked if Roger-Belle could sleep on her pillow. Of course I agreed, telling her that a Tiger was the perfect (purrfect?) choice to have sleep near your head if you were worried about bad dreams sneaking in. She was worried that bad dreams came in bubbles and popped near your ears so that they could climb in your ears and up into your brain.
I had a fantastic idea! Stop laughing. I did! I went to her closet & pulled out a hat. I was looking for the one with the ear flaps, but I couldn't find it. We went with the pink polar fleece. I pulled the hat tightly over her ears & kissed her goodnight.
20 minutes later, Joe came home from work & I was telling him about the bad-dream-drama. He went up to check on her & snapped this pic.



She was sound asleep with Roger-Belle (I don't know WHERE she came up with this name) guarding her & her little hands holding on the Good-Dream-Hat.
My kid is funny. And cute. And sweet. And a little weird.

4 comments:

liz said...

Good solution!!! And how cute is she?????

Round our house, we vigorously brush (with our fingers) all the bad dreams out of MM's hair last thing. And then we dust off the pillow, to make sure they don't sneak back in.

Christy said...

What a cutie. I love the picture of her asleep with her hand over her ears.

Yo-yo Mama said...

I'm so envious that you are enjoying 7. Maybe it's a girl thing because everything since 3 has sucked. Maybe it's because I don't come up with good ideas on how to chase nightmares away or make storms not so scary. I'm a hard-ass.

Knot said...

To me, that's good parenting. I do similar stuff for my kid. Not quite that creative.