Welcome to my world. I *just* vacuumed... Wipe your feet before you come in.

Monday, October 13, 2008

Fatty McButterPants

I accidentally caught a glimpse of myself naked this weekend.

Holy shrimp, I've really let myself go. You would think that walking the beach, promenade, chasing a 2 year old around would be enough. Apparently not.

I wouldn't post pictures of the ugliness that is my thighs, but trust me. It's bad.

I had on size 10 jeans yesterday and the "sit-fat" was awful. The belly-fat roll was ohmygod disgusting! My hips/thighs/ass are gross.

I'll give you the numbers:

I am 5'6" tall.
I weigh 158.4 lbs
My measurements are: 38-30-40 My thighs are 21 inches around at the fattest part.
I do have a large frame, and I used to be very athletic. My shoulders are broad and my arms are really nice and toned. You wouldn't believe how good a workout picking up a 30 something lb toddler is!

Now, to be kind to myself, for the most part; I do look ok with clothes on. Except the Phillies t-shirt that Joe brought home for me the other day. He picked up Men's Medium & boy, do I look lumpy in it. I think I'll take it back & exchange it for a Large. So this is mainly a "toning" thing. I'm sure the cookies don't help, but I really just need to get up & move.

When I got pregnant with Will, I was 135 lbs. I was too thin. I think I had lost a bunch of weight after the miscarriage. Since I was so sad, I never felt like eating.

It's not even that I eat too much (well, maybe a little) it's WHAT I eat. The kids seem to think that you're supposed to have pasta with every meal. Elbow macaroni w/tomato sauce is a staple.
Chicken is always fried. Never baked/sauteed/stewed or roasted. There is a LOT of ground beef. Meatloaf (yuk) hamburgers, beef-a-roni(yuk), meatballs, stuffed peppers etc....

I'm the only one in the house who really enjoys salad. The kids will eat it if I put it on their plates, but they only like the cucumbers/tomatoes/carrots not so much the lettuce part of the salad so I generally don't make salads. The lettuce would go bad before we ate it.

When I make a meal that I don't particularly like (see Meatloaf/beef-a-roni) I will usually just eat whatever vegetable I make & some bread. Then at 8:30 after the kids go to bed & I'm sitting on the sofa either folding laundry or reading/watching t.v., I eat tortilla chips & salsa or a bag of the kids' lunch snacks.

I'm going to try to eat better. Today I had 1 piece of Cinnamon raisin toast, a bowl of Cheerios w/ banana slices for breakfast. Lunch is going to be a small chef salad from Wawa, and I didn't take anything out of the freezer for dinner, so that's up in the air right now. I didn't buy any junk food this weekend at the grocery store, so the 1 pound bag of pretzels that I bought for the kids will have to be hidden from me.

Anybody want to give me some diet tips or exercises that do NOT include jogging/running (I have a bad ankle, I can't run) I'd appreciate it. I think I might go stock up on some of those frozen diet dinners & I'll have that instead of the stuff I make for Joe. I hear the South Beach stuff isn't so bad.

Say, wanna join me in a little Internet competition? We could do our own version of "The Biggest Loser" Whoever loses the highest percentage of body weight wins a prize? Maybe a tin of cookies.

4 comments:

Knot said...

Well ... you still weigh less than me.

My wife got on this lose all your weight kick over the summer and to be nice I joined her. She quit when I dropped 15 pounds in a week. I'm one of those people.

The salad is a great start. I've started to eat more steamed vegetables and watch what I put on them. A bucket of cheese doesn't help.

Really it's about portion size. I'm a big fan of the book "Body For Life" and the accompanying web site. You can buy the book so cheap used now it's not funny. Basically, the emphasis is on, "Eat right and exercise". He goes in depth more, but basically, reduce your portion sizes. http://bodyforlife.com/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0060193395/ref=sr_1_olp_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223916772&sr=8-1

I suggested getting into exercising slowly with a cheapy yoga or pilates video. Even dollar stores have them. Just take a walk every day or other day for 20 minutes. Wear high tops or wrap your ankles or get ankle supports.

Another good trick is to give up sodas altogether. You'll be amazed how quickly you can lose weight by dropping even diet soda.

Most importantly, keep track of what you eat and treat yourself now and then. It does no good to starve yourself and binge later.

Knot

Christy said...

If cookies are the prize, count me in!

I have been trying to lose these last damn 20 pounds FOREVER. I seem to loose 5 pounds, then gain it right back. I think I have plateaued.

DD said...

Become a wet nurse?

While getting rid of the muffin top it will make room for your boobs.

Anne said...

Several years ago I discovered a book called "You are what you eat" by Dr. Gillian McKeith. She says avoid processed foods, and things with hidden sugars (salad dressings can be the worst). I started reading the ingredients part of labels more closely- I had not realized that the first ingredients are what is in the item the most, so when a sugar is labeled first or second, that's a lot of sugar.

I did lose a lot of weight doing this, but mainly it changed how I view my food and what it does for me. I'm not tiny- I will never be tiny- but the whole grains, veggies, fruits, and lean proteins along with lots of water did it for me. I do not live a life without cookies or candy- that is an area where portion size really does it.

My SIL is a very very busy Mom of 2 and doesn't have time for lots of food prep, so she avoids sugar and is a big fan of Weight Watchers and Lean Cuisine frozen entrees for lunch. Works for her.

Cat- the deal is you have to find what works for you and in your busy life. I think you are on the right track already- you make smart choices and want to add exercise in when you can. A little movement goes a long way!