Welcome to my world. I *just* vacuumed... Wipe your feet before you come in.

Monday, March 10, 2008

What's Next? Locust?

How much more can this poor kid take?
In the past 2 months, Maggie has been healthy for about 3 weeks.

She started the year off with a wicked head cold. The kind where your face feels swollen? She said her eyes felt "big".
A few colds here & there; allergies acting up; that sort of thing.

Last week she had the flu. When I took her to the Dr's (after the 3rd straight day of 102 + temps) he agreed that she had flu. She got sick last Sunday. (The 1st) She did nothing but lie on the sofa all afternoon. Monday & Tuesday she stayed home with Joe. He would give Tylenol/Motrin and the fever would go down, but she was still very sick. She wouldn't eat, could only keep sips of water down. Nothing tasted good to her. She usually likes Gatorade, but she wanted nothing to do with it. She finally started coming around Friday. Saturday & Sunday she was back to her old self. She even helped me with the laundry & dusting.
Spent the better part of Sunday harassing Will. Sunday morning she even demanded "REAL pancakes, not the frozen kind", after seeing this kid refuse food for a whole week (she even turn down Jell-O!), I made her pancakes. REAL pancakes. Extra butter & syrup.

This morning she woke up with "ear-juice". While we were at the Dr's, he was looking at her ears & found a hard, chunk of wax that he could not get out with his little scooper-outer-thing. He told me to put a couple drops of mineral oil in her ears every other day & that would "melt" some of the wax. If I didn't see the wax plug come out in 7 - 10 days, she was to go back in. I was hoping (HA!!) it was just that. No such luck.

Daycare just called. She's running a 101.6 temp & complaining that her throat/ear/belly/head hurts. Joe just went to daycare & picked her up & said the gunk is flowing out of her ear. Eww.

14 comments:

Edge said...

I feel bad for her. My daughter got tubes when she was about 2 and woke up one Sunday morning and her pillow was covered in this stuff mixed with blood. I had to stay calm otherwise it wold have freaked my wife out. We call the on-call number for her ENT and he said that was actually good it was coming out. The tubes allowed the stuff to come out - meaning if there wasn't proper drainage, then that stuff was backing up. So MAYBE this is a good thing.

We use earwax candles to get wax out. You would be amazed how well these work. I would give them a try with the mineral oil if you want. My step son has BAD ear wax and I have to go diggin sometimes. It's so bad he gets ear aches. But these candles are great and they work. You can find them at GNC or the healthfood store or places like that. Look like wax ice cream cones , but they really work. One suggestion cover her head as there is an open flame over head. We use old pie tins with a hole in them to catch the burning stuff.

I know ... sounds scary, but it's perfectly safe.

~Jef

Christy said...

Poor Maggie. I hope she is feeling better soon.

Chas said...

Get well soon Little One!!

Katrina said...

Does she have tubes? If not, sounds like she has a little perforation in her ear drum that's letting the goop out. My oldest went through this. I hope she's feeling better soon!

DD said...

Haven't you taught that kid yet NOT to put applesauce in her ears?

Ear juice??

*shudder*

Catizhere said...

We took her to the Dr & it is an infection. Doc thinks that maybe the Wall of Wax caused it since she did have a cold & the fluid probably couldn't drain past this thing. She's back on Augmentin for 10 days.


Edge - I've never heard of that! I'm guessing that the heat melts the wax? A year or two ago, she was "1 more ear infection away from tubes".

Christy - Thanks. Once the antibiotics kick in, she'll perk up in no time. Now I just have to remember to buy yogurt for the "week-after-antibiotics-yeast-infection"

Chas - Thanks!!

Katrina - No,no tubes (so far)
Doc scooped a bunch of funk out of her ear yesterday.

DD - You know when you peel the foil lid from the cup of applesauce? THe thin layer of juice on top?
THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE!!
Good call!

Em said...

Aw poor little miss, hope she better soon

Kellan said...

I'm so sorry Maggie has been so sick - poor thing. My husband and my daughter Chloe are the two in our family that have allergies and they often don't feel well. They are older, though - it's hard on the little ones and hard to have a little one that is sick - I'm so sorry. I hope she gets to feeling better soon. See you later - Kellan

Kellan said...

Hi Cat - I hope you are having a good day and that Maggie is feeling better. See you soon - Kellan

jennie said...

that poor thing. we've had two weeks of funk running through our house too - nothing serious, just got good. I CANNOT wait for it to pass.

good luck at your house.

Kellan said...

Have a good weekend Cat - see you later. Kellan

Mama Drama Jenny, the Bloggess said...

Crap on a crap cracker. That sucks.

I heard the earwax candles works well but I'm pretty sure I'd end up burning all my hair off.

Again.

S said...

I hope she feels better soon!

Rachel said...

Max has been having ear infections constantly. The minute he gets a cold-it goes right to his ears. I hope Maggie feels better. :)