Welcome to my world. I *just* vacuumed... Wipe your feet before you come in.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

on my soapbox

I don't normally do this, but really?
What is wrong with the people in Hollywood - have they lost all their morals????

The Golden Compass" movie is set to premier on December 7, during the Christmas season, and will probably be heavily advertised. This movie is based on a the first book of a trilogy by atheist Philip Pullman. In the final book a boy and girl kill God so they can do as they please. Pullman left little doubt about his intentions when he said in a2003 interview that "My books are about killing God."
The movie is a watered down version of the first book and is designed to be very attractive in the hope unsuspecting parents will take their children to see the movie and that the children will want the books for Christmas. The movie has a well known cast, including Nicole Kidman,Kevin Bacon, and Sam Elliott. It will probably be advertised extensively, so it i s crucial that we get the word out to warn parents to avoid this movie. Please consider a boycott of the movie and the books. Also,pass this information along to everyone you know. This will help to educate parents, so that they will know the agenda of the movie.You can research this for yourself.

I thought you might find the following article from snopes.com interesting: http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp

(I read the snopes article and this is definitely worth passing around. It's very disturbing & I think it is well worth spreading.)Not tired of reading about the movie? Here's MORE DETAILS-


--The movie has been described as "atheism for kids" and is based on the first book of a trilogy entitled "His Dark Materials" that was written by Phillip Pullman. Pullman is a militant atheist and secular humanist who despises C. S.Lewis and the "Chronicles of Narnia". His motivation for writing this trilogy was specifically to counteract Lewis' symbolisms of Christ that are portrayed in the Narnia series.
Clearly, Pullman's main objective is to bash Christianity and promote atheism. Pullman left little doubt about his intentions when he said in a 2003 interview that "my books are about killing God." He has even stated that he wants t o"kill God in the minds of children". It has been said of Pullman that he is "the writer the atheists would be praying for, if atheists prayed."

Please pass this on to everyone you know! Families, (particularly children) are in great danger of this twisted mindset.

4 comments:

Momish said...

I think I must first explain that I am a Catholic, yet a philosopher before I respond. I also haven't heard much about this movie yet, but the trailers make it seem interesting.

I think it is just as important to expose kids to all kinds of perspectives and views in order to promote discussion, not just the ones that agree with our value system and beliefs.

While I totally respect your opinion and desire to avoid media which mocks or redicules anything you hold dear (which I have no clue if this movie does that or not), I still don't think that fiction can be threatening or fearful based on its premise just because it goes against another belief system.

Conviction cannot be shaken by fiction or fantasy. True, young minds are more mallable and can easily interpret things in the wrong way. Their tendancy towards concrete thinking often pushes them into a black or white existence.

And I would agree with you to avoid the movie if you feel it would create confusion and uncertainty for your children, especially if they are at a vulnerable age.

But there are lots of movies out there that send mixed messages that conflict with the morals and values we strive to pass on to our kids. And yet our kids either regard them as fun fantasy or dismiss them for the fiction they are.

In all honesty, if Pullman's intent is to wipe religion from the mind's of children after reading his books, then I would assume he never had kids. They put the wonder in the world! They ask "why" a million times more than any adult ever does, and yet they always end up looking up in awe.

Momish said...

P.S. I just saw how much I wrote and have to apologize for my rant!! Forgive me!

Kellan said...

I think you are right - there is not room for this sort of twisted thinking. I think my kids should be exposed to all sorts of stuff, but this is not the sort of thing I think would benefit my children. Thanks for the heads-up.

mothergoosemouse said...

This is so interesting to me - I may have to post about it myself.

Suffice it to say, I'm an atheist myself, but I'm turned off by atheists who are arrogant and disrespectful in the assertion of their beliefs, as it sounds like Pullman may be.