Welcome to my world. I *just* vacuumed... Wipe your feet before you come in.

Monday, May 14, 2007

Mother's Day 2007

Well, the day started off good, but the ending kind of sucked……..


So, yesterday was Mother’s day. Both kids slept until 8:00am. Cool.
There was a pretty plant, cards & a box of pastries left on the dining room table. Cool.
Joe works on Sundays. Not cool.
But on the other hand, I get to spend the whole day just me & the kids. So, sort of cool.

We went food shopping, then wandered through Tar-jay ogling the bathing-suits & cute little summer outfits for Maggie. We got 1 bathing suit & 2 short-sets.

I ended up getting my Mom a pretty Jasmine scented candle with real jasmine flowers embedded in the wax, a toss pillow, cashmere (like) throw and new cozy, cozy slippers. Joe’s mom got new bath towels, bath mat, soap dispenser & wastebasket.

We headed over to the MIL’s first as she was serving sausage scaloppini, & spaghetti & meatballs. Lemme tell ya, Dot makes *the* best friggin’ scaloppini in the WORLD.
After we stuffed our faces, I mean....nibbled delicately on the scrumptious fare, we hung around for a while so Maggie could run around screaming at the top of her lungs with cousin Haley, then we said our goodbyes and went over to my Mom’s.

As soon as we walked in, I knew something was wrong. Only #1 of my 6 brothers was there, my sister wasn’t even there. I asked her where everyone else was & here’s the low-down:

Brother # 2 was coming over after his girlfriend was finished work. She’s a waitress and got stuck doing Mother’s Day dinner shift. BLAGH!

Brother # 3 & 4 live in Florida, so they were given a “pass” to miss Mother’s Day, they did call though.

My brother # 5 & his new wife were at her mother’s house as her father was just diagnosed with colon cancer. He found out the day before they were married. (April 14)
She is a staying as close as possible to him for now as they say his prognosis is “not good”.

My sister’s husband has just had a testicle removed. He was diagnosed with cancer last week, but didn’t want anyone to know. He’s still a bit too “tender” to drive for an hour to visit. Understandable.

My younger brother # 6 & his wife were spending the day at a B&B upstate. So, ok.

Then Mom informed me that she leaves for an Alaskan cruise on Tuesday; she’ll return on the 26th, Monday is Memorial Day, then on Tuesday the 29th, she will go into the hospital to have a hysterectomy as she was just diagnosed with uterine cancer. Her doctor has told her that she’s pretty sure the cancer was contained to just the uterus, but they’ll still do follow-up tests to make sure they get it all. Mom’s pretty ok with all this. She was saying that her uterus had served her well over the years, she got 8 great kids to grow in it & she’s done with it now anyway. I think she said that just so I would stop crying. She’s good like that.

Mom is healthy, and has a great outlook on life in general. She never frets or worries; rarely does she raise her voice. She kept telling me how she’s sure that she’ll be ok. We discussed the procedure; she was amazed at how they’re going to do this: Dr. will go in laproscopically, sever & tie off the ovaries, cut whatever holds all the stuff in there, then her uterus will be removed through her vagina. Is it just my fascination with all things surgical or is that really kind of neat? Less incisions, easier healing seems like a win-win to me. Well, if you can get past the hysterectomy part of it.

I’ve already decided that while Mom is off cruising, I will go to her house & get her bedroom ready for recuperation. I was in there yesterday & since she’s packing for her trip, there are clothes & shoes strewn all over. I’ll get her some pretty pillows, heating pads, trashy novels and set up her TV, make a few casseroles or easy to put together meals for her, set up a little table for a pitcher, snacks, crossword puzzle books etc…

GOD! This sucks!! I hate it when the people I love are sick!

6 comments:

DD said...

Holy crap! That's a lot of news to get in a weekend, much less a life-time. I wish for the best possibly outcome for everyone, and that your brother's FIL finds his way painlessly.

Tiffany said...

sweetie i am sooooo sooooooo SOOOOOOOOO sorry to hear about your mom. omg. she sounds like such a wonderful, loving, STRONG woman. bless her heart for saying that about her uterus. wow, i envy her having eight children. honestly i would if i were able to. i wish her a very speedy recovery.

i have to say you are a terrific daughter in law for going over to your mil's house in spite of your husband's working. well...now that i think about it...i'll go just about anywhere for really great italian food. :)

Dooneybug said...

So sorry to hear that sad news. Many wishes for her to have an easy procedure and full recovery!

Christy said...

I am so sorry that your family is suffering right now. Your mom sounds like an amazing woman - so graceful. I really hope she enjoys her cruise.

Lauren said...

That did end kinda sucky! But hopefully all will be ok with everyone.

I love your ideas for setting up her room for her return and her healing.

Kate W. said...

Cat- that totally bites! It is great that your Mom has such a good outlook- it will help her healing process so much. FYI- the company I work for designs the laproscopic instruments the Doc will be using!It is so much better to have it that way rather than big incisions! It is an amazing surgery. Big Hugs- I hate stress!!!