Welcome to my world. I *just* vacuumed... Wipe your feet before you come in.

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Will

Wow. What a wild, strange trip its been.
Thank you all for the good wishes and a special "shout-out" to DD for posting for me.
William is doing very well and Maggie is actually being a pretty big help. Joe went back to work this morning so I am on my own with the kids (that sounds funny, my kids..)
I was thinking about the birth story, but I was so busy screaming, that it all sort of blends into one big pain-fest....This was a hard, fast labor with much yelling and no epidural. Lets see if I can string a few memories together....

Thursday morning at around 3:20, Maggie woke up and wanted to sleep in our bed, as I picked her up I felt a small, warm....spurt. Not a "gush" per se, but
something I said to Joe, "I think my water just broke" and went into the bathroom to check. Sure enough, there was a mucus plug and a pretty good amount of fluid (sorry, that's a bit gross). We got dressed and packed up Maggie's blanket & pillow and called my mother-in-law who was on "baby-watch" detail. We drove over to her house(my father-in-law was down the shore with the car, so she couldn't come to us) which is only 10 minutes away and dropped of a very sleepy Maggie. We then proceeded to drive to the hospital (first, we had to stop for gas since I forgot to fill the tank the day before). We got to the E.R. without incident. (Being a police officer, Joe had delivered a baby in the backseat of a car the year before and he REALLY didn't want to do that every again....)
We were sent upstairs to the labor & delivery suites where they were waiting for us. Funny thing is that I was supposed to call them at 6:30 a.m. and see if there was any chance of being induced later that day. There was no chance that was going to happen as there were only 2 beds available. They like to keep 2 open for spontaneous labors and not elective inductions.
At 7:30-ish, my Dr. came in and checked me. I was only 3 cm dilated and having small contractions that I couldn't even feel. She said that she would be back around 10 (she was delivering another baby 2 doors down) to check again and see if we were going to need pitocin. Around 10, the contractions were getting stronger and very fast. The nurse said she doubted that we would need the pitocin since I was going so fast & furious. By 11, I was in active labor and things were getting pretty uncomfortable. I was give a half-dose of Stadol(?) to "take the edge off" the pain. I refused an epidural as they scare the crap out of me. NOBODY is sticking a needle in my spine. Around 11:30 I started to want to push. After the first coule pushes, ithe pain got really bad. Contractions were hitting every minute and lasting 30 - 45 seconds, so I was only getting about a 15 second break between.
Joe was holding my hand & giving me oxygen. I remember at one point he had my hysterically laughing, because as I got done yelling after a real good contraction, he whispered " Kelly Clarkson!!" I had just seen "The 40 Year Old Virgin" 2 nights before, and laughed my ass of at that scene.
2 or 3 pushes after that, Will's head was out and Dr. K told me that he was coming "sunny-side up" she was going to have to rotate his shoulders and would only need one more good push from me. At 12:14 William was born. He was crying until the nurse placed him on my chest. He looked at me with his big, blue eyes and stopped crying. He looks so much like Maggie that its scary!

Joe has taken about 1500 pictures already. As soon as I figure out where he has them saved, I'll show him off.

6 comments:

melissa b. said...

I'm just so happy for you and your family!

Welcome, Will. Enjoy, Maggie!

Colleen said...

Hi, I'm new to your blog. Just had to check in and read about your new baby boy. Congrats!!

The Queen Mama said...

Congratulations! And welcome, Will!

DD said...

Kelly Clarkson?! That's just perfect...but a little hard to catch your breath when you're cracking up. Did the nurses or doc hear him?

You are one brave woman to go without an epi. I, on the other hand, couldn't imagine it any other way.

E said...

I can't stop laughing over the Kelly Clarkson scream! VERY funny. Congratulations to you all. Now please, because I'm sure you're not "busy" or anything, please download and post those pictures! We can't wait to meet Will!!!!

E

mothergoosemouse said...

Congratulations! That is wonderful news. So glad that everything went well.