Welcome to my world. I *just* vacuumed... Wipe your feet before you come in.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

CATCHING UP




     Sorry I’ve been a little lax in posting.  I just haven’t had all that much to report.  

     Tuesday’s OB appt went well.  Only gained 5 lbs.  Of course they don’t know about the 12 I packed on after I quit smoking.  Yes.  I smoked.  I know. It’s a dirty, disgusting, dangerous & very expensive habit.  But I couldn’t help it.  I enjoyed it (most of the time).
I never smoked around Maggie, or in my house.

     Admittedly, there were times when I would catch a glimpse of myself with a cigarette in my mouth, or smell my sweater & think “ewwwwww”. I knew I had to quit for my health, the health of any future baby & my pocketbook.  When I decided to try again to get pregnant, I knew I had to give it up.  Realizing that I had more to gain (not in pounds)
And NOTHING to lose, I gave it up cold turkey.  Yay me!

     Anyway, Tuesday was fine.  Maggie came with me since Joe was working his part-time gig that night.  It was only the third time since her birth that Dr. K got to see Maggie. She was very impressed by her good looks, impeccable manners & height.

     She found the heartbeat right away, but Nugget decided it was play time & scooted away.  She tried again & had a little difficulty finding it.  She finally tracked Nugget down & we heard a good, strong heartbeat before the little prankster ran away again.  We discussed the first-trimester screening & ultrasound procedure that is done at Lankenau Hospital that I think is some high-risk pregnancy related option.  I really want to have this done, but I think it’s too late.  I am at 12 weeks now & Dr. K said that I needed to call on Wednesday to schedule the appt.  I could not find the # she gave me back in December & there was nothing on L.H’s Website about perinatology; so maybe I didn’t want to do this as bad as I thought I did.  
     Joe & I had already discussed the possibility of defects or abnormalities & we both know that no matter what, we would not terminate.  I know that’s going to bother some people out there, but we believe that God doesn’t give you more than you can handle & if we have a special needs child, we will handle it the best way we can.  

     I have a really good feeling about this baby, and don’t think there will be any defects or developmental issues.  Call it Mother’s intuition or as my MIL calls it “Inside information”, so I guess we’ll just plod along in the “normal” pregnancy mode & after the 20 week ultrasound, Dr. K will decide if I need more regular studies.  We did follow a “high-risk” plan with Maggie due to my “Advanced Maternal Age” (Isn’t THAT a lovely term?  Almost as nice as “Scraggly Old Momma”).  

     I’m only hoping that my suspicions of it being a girl baby are wrong.  Hey!!!  Stop that!!  I’m not saying that I wouldn’t be happy with another girl, I would just really like a boy this time.  We already a boy’s name picked.  William ( Will, not Billy)  Michael.  William is both of our father’s names.  My dad passed away almost 12 years ago & I still miss him every day.  Joe’s dad is going into his 70’s, smokes like a chimney, has high blood pressure, diabetes & is prone to skin cancer, so he keeps telling us how he’s not going to be around much longer.  Michael is just a name that we both like.  
     As for girl’s names, we are going to fight over this one.  He wants to name a girl after our mother’s… His mom’s name is Dorothy.  As.If.   I love his Mom.  I really do love her.  She is wonderful.  But Dorothy?  Ummm, no.  Don’t like it. Don’t like it at all. My mom’s name is Elizabeth.  I like Elizabeth, it’s my middle name.  But I only like Elizabeth, not Betty, not Liz, not Beth, not Buffy (although that was one of my fav shows).  I like old-fashioned names.  I like Alice.  I like Jane.  I like Alice Jane. We already have an Allison, so that may be quashed.
I like the names Jillian, Megan, Colleen, & Sarah.  How about you?  Any suggestions?
The more “Irish” it sounds, the better.  

     I also announced the pregnancy to my boss.  WHEW!!  What a load off my mind!
There are only a handful of people here who I already told.  She was pretty good about it.  Of course, she is in the process of selling her house  & moving to her house in the Poconos.  She will work from home & only have to come into the office once a week.  Now we will have to devise a plan for my portion of the job.  Either hook me up with PC Anywhere so I can do the daily deposit & collections aspects from home or some other option.  I even volunteered to come in a few hours a week to work on overseas agent settlements. Just to keep my hand in the work & don’t get all Baby-Brained.  

     She then turned around & opened her big, fat, no tact-mouth.   She said that she told  one of the owners & decided that she’s not going to make any announcement to the other owner or Department heads and that I shouldn’t tell too many people either.
“I mean, Jeez Cat, you’re 40.  What if you should have another miscarriage?  I don’t want to have to tell everybody in the company that you lost another baby.”
This is the same woman who actually said to me the day I called her from the hospital to tell her that I had a miscarriage, “ Well, maybe “someone” is trying to tell you something. And that this is for the best”.  I mean, HOLY CHRIST!! Who SAYS shit like that????
The anesthesia hadn’t even worn off.  
At least now, I don’t have to hide my saltines & I can freely wear my “fat-pants”.




5 comments:

E said...

Cat, do not feel that you need to name the Nugget "Elizabeth" after me. That's really sweet though. ;)
As you may guess I'm partial to the name Elizabeth but I also LOVE the name Jane. Of course whatever you and Joe call her will be perfect.
Your boss sounds like she needs some sensitivity training. Or a swift kick in the a**. Whichever.
Glad you're back blogging!
E

DD said...

Does your boss have kids? What the hell kind of comment is that? That verges almost on the edge of hostile working environment.

On the bright side: I can't believe you're at 12 wks already.

*sigh*

Is it OK if I get a bit emotional here?

Catizhere said...

That's the sad part DD, She has 2 grown boys of her own. Granted, she wasn't 40 when she had them, but still. She HAS to know the feeling of wanting a baby.

Her sister is SIF and another sister has some sort of "Bad Jewish Gene" (not Tay-Sachs, but something worse)and has had to terminate 2 pregnancies. WTF???

Kate W. said...

Boss = ass
She sounds like my old boss. When I told her I was pregnant with Ellie her first response was "yeah I figured you would do this to me some day" WTF?!
We are SO on the same name track! AND by the way, Ellie is
Elizabeth Jane! Sarah is Sarah Ann. Jill,Erin,Colleen and Claire were also runners up... I also love William and Michael! Glad you are back! :)

t_cole said...

that woman needs bitch-slapping and i am just the one to do it.
that's border-line on reporting her to HR - for at the very least - some sensitivity training.
geez-um-pete.

i am so sorry you have to deal with people like that in your life.
DO NOT WORK while you are on maternity. (my 2 cents)

i like Elizabeth too. Was my Grandmother's name. everyone called her Lillie.

keep on keep'n