Welcome to my world. I *just* vacuumed... Wipe your feet before you come in.

Monday, November 14, 2005

Fun things to do an a GORGEOUS November Weekend

I don’t know what the weather was like in YOUR neck of the woods this weekend, but it was positively glorious here.  Saturday’s high temp was 64; Sunday was even milder with a high of 68.  Bright, sunny skies with almost no breeze.  It was a perfect Indian summer weekend.

On Saturday, Maggie and I decided to have a picnic at the playground.  I packed her favorite lunch (PB&J, a yogurt, and a few E.L. Fudge cookies and a juice box in her Winnie-the-Pooh lunch box & off we went.  She played on the slide, the merry-go-round. (Spin me FASTER Mommy) and all the little ride ons.
We spent almost 2 hours playing chase, and lying on our backs looking at the sky through the trees, finding shapes in the clouds, and just holding hands.  We were the only people there for at least an hour, and then other kids started to show.  Maggie promptly forgot I was there & ran off to make some new friends.  I love that she will do that.
I love that she is outgoing and positive and self assured enough to go up to a child that she has never seen before and say, “Hi, wanna play wit me?”  After the park, she napped for her usual 2 hours while I finished the laundry, re-caulked the tub and had a cup of tea on the deck in the sunshine while reading a novel….OMG!! I actually had time to READ a few chapters of Stuart Woods’ “Cold Paradise”.  I can’t remember how long it’s been that I could just read.  It was wonderful!  

Later that afternoon, we went on a treasure hunt, looking for pretty leaves, pine cones and acorns.   I simply cannot fathom that no one on my block has an oak tree…. There are maples all over, a few pines, birches, and those ugly gum sap trees, but no oaks.  
Had I known this, I would have saved a bunch of them from the trailer.  There was never a night there where we weren’t startled by the sound of an acorn hitting the roof of the trailer.  Where am I going to buy acorns??!  I saw on Better Homes & Gardens dot com where you find these items & paint them in fallish colors for a centerpiece.

On Sunday morning, we went to Michaels Craft Store for metallic paints.  I found “Autumn Leaves, Aztec Gold, Red Maple and a forest green.  I couldn’t resist the Blue Topaz and Amethyst. You usually don’t find too many blue or purple leaves, but they were so pretty I had to get them.  We painted the pine cones last night and they look really good!  I finished a few of the pine cones off with silver glitter on the ends of the ….what the heck are they called?  Each little “petal” of the pine cone… I’ll try to snap a pic of them & post it later…

Maggie thought it was hilarious that she painted without her shirt on.  I’m tired of pre-treating her clothes when she paints.  The daycare is supposed to make her wear a smock for art projects, but most of her clothes have a paint stain on them somewhere… they swear its water-based, but I can never get it all out.  I
Of course, she needed a bath after that project!

That was my weekend…. What did you guys do??

Oh Yeah…by the way.
still no period.  Hmmmm….


No comments: